Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chpt 10 Rethinking Education

This chapter is interesting because it acts as the conclusion of all we are learning.  Basically, we need to rethink how and what we are teaching in schools in order to make our children successful beyond the classroom.  Since the world around us is constantly changing, why hasn't education?  The introduction makes the case that the U.S. used to be a global leader in the worlds resources.  Now technology brings information across the world, and levels the educational "playing field."  Millions of students have the same information on how to be a successful engineer, doctor, technician, etc.  So how can our students out-compete them in the global job market, especially since the links/communication of technology make it possible to hire a person from across the ocean to do an "American job."  The greatest advantage we can give to students is how their education is structured.  We need to rethink learning.  Learning can be done outside school and we must give our students the resources to learn by themselves.  This allows education to become a live-long process.  Motivating students to continually seek new knowledge through the new available technology will make the successful people beyond my classroom.
The biggest change as an educator will be to rethink what a teacher's role is.  For me, it will be much different than my elementary school teachers, or even the teachers I study with for practicums and student teaching.  I have to create a whole revolutionized job description in order to help this generation's students succeed.  I need to act more as a motivator and empower my students to seek their own information.  I will be a supportive resource and still provide the necessary scaffolding to ensure their success and growing knowledge.  But if I want my students to succeed globally, I must be the leader that reexamines education and it's goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment