Thursday, November 25, 2010

PSA Reflection

The PSA was one of the most challenging assignments yet, comparable to using Scratch.  Choosing a subject and writing a script was no problem.  We recorded in one of the library's group study rooms using Courtney's Polaroid camcorder.  It's very similar to a Flip camera, the USB plug pops out of the side and connects directly to the computer.  The most difficult part about video tapping was the sound.  The small room made our voices echo and because the person behind the camera was also the narrator, she had to talk very quietly to get her voice at the same level as the rest of us.  After connected the camera to a Mac computer, we weren't sure how to use iMovie.  It was difficult to figure out how to import a video, or even how to save the video off Courtney's camera onto the computer.  Luckily we were in the computer lab in the library, so we asked one of the lab assistance to help us.  All we could figure out how to do, even with his help, was to add title pages.  We looked into adding music and sound, and couldn't figure out how.  Also, after I uploaded it to Blogger, our voices are very quiet, almost too quiet to even hear with the computer volume turned up all the way. 
If I were to try to make a video in my classroom, I would definitely need to become more experienced in using iMovie.  I see the most potential with this tool in using it as a kinda of assessment for my students, or using it to keep parents up to date on what we are doing in our classroom.  Either way the students would be acting.  I can't see how this technology could be a one-person tool.  I could not be filmed and be holding the camera at the same time.  So, if I wanted to be on the screen to send my students a message, I would need to find someone to help hold the camera. 
Because I do like the idea of using video in my classroom, I will not let my lack of current knowledge on the technology hold me back from using it in my classroom.  I know I will have to explore iMovie's features before I use it, but I like opportunities that it gives students.  For example, if they did create a script and video documenting what they learned on a certain topic I would be confident that they understand the material well since "creating" is on the top of Bloom's Taxonomy of learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment